Common Laboratory Mouse Strains: A Beginner's Guide
Self-paced Online MiniCourse · 1 – 2 hours · Digital badge and certificate eligible
This MiniCourse introduces inbred, outbred and hybrid mouse strains and explains breeding schemes, nomenclature, genetic drift and more.
- Breeding schemes of commonly used laboratory mouse strains
- Inbred, outbred and hybrid nomenclature
- How substrains develop
- Genetic drift and the reproducibility dilemma
- Strategies to reduce genetic drift
- Resources to find the right inbred mouse for your experimental plan
- Animal health monitoring and mouse room housing conditions
This MiniCourse is designed to meet the needs of people who utilize JAX laboratory mice for genetic and genomic research projects, including: scientists, research assistants, lab technicians, graduate and postdoctoral students, mouse colony managers and staff.